Friday, July 18, 2008

What I want to be when I grow up



Aren't they beautiful? They are my grandparents, my Mother's parents. I really want to re-create this picture with Jeff.

I find myself thinking so much about enduring love lately. I am approaching my anniversary and I will admit to something. I used the think there was a "recipe" for enduring love. I used to think that if I could ask my grandmothers, and my Mom and other people I respected what worked.......then I could do it and I would have what I always wanted, to be married and in love forever and ever. It didn't work that way for me. You may or may not know, but I was divorced after 10 years of marriage. I have learned some things since then. I'm not sure I'm ready to blog about that stuff yet, but I will say this........I am so happy now and I feel so sorry for the young me that didn't have a clue that sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell her a few truths. But then I wouldnt be where I am now, looking forward to Jeff & I's 50th wedding anniversary (ok..so it is 48 years away)

What I wanted to talk about is this.......the legacy of love I have been given. Now I look at my examples of enduring love and the lesson I learn is so different!! That is because they are all so different......

  • I look at my parents who have been married for 37 years and I feel warm and safe and I learn to put God and each other first in my marriage.
  • I also have my Granny and Grandad shown above who are neither one with me anymore on earth but who gave me a completely different picture of enduring love that taught me about having a servants heart.
  • My Grandma (on my Dad's side) has been married to Hollis for over 25 years now. I learn the importance of being married to my best friend and what companionship can bring to my marriage. I'm also blessed by her continued love for my Papa and their marriage that also lasted over 25 years.

I see these examples all around me and I am blessed that they have shaped who I am and they have also helped shape my marriage.........thank you. I love and honor you.


4 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

What lovely thoughts, and a lovely picture! Thanks for putting me on your places to visit! I'll do the same.

Anonymous said...

I love how gracious you are =} It's so refreshing to read about that kind of stuff.

Kimba said...

Thanks so much for commenting! It's nice to "meet" you. I'm honored that you would put me on your blogroll. Thanks!

The best part of blogging, for me, has been the wonderful women I get the opportunity to meet.

Your sentiments on marriage and love are sweet and touching. Thanks for sharing them.

Aimee said...

Thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment! :)

That picture of your Grandparents is beautiful! Wow, it sounds like you have a wonderful legacy to live up to!